Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 13, 2008 Newsletter


Ray’s Ramblings
November 13, 2008

Dear Parents,

PICTURE MAKE-UPS: Make-up picture day is November 21. If you wish to have remake pictures made of your child, send the old picture packet back in order to get free make-ups and I will send home a new order envelope for you to fill out.

HOLIDAY CENTRAL: I have chosen two families for my classes to help sponsor for Christmas. The families each have 2 children. If you are able to help sponsor these families so they can have a special Christmas, please send me a donation of $1 or more. I have parents who have volunteered to ‘shop’ when the money is in. We will choose an outfit for each child and a couple of toys. Any extra money received will be used to purchase a Kroger gift card for the family. Put any money for this cause in a special envelope marked Ray’s Xmas.

THANKSGIVING FEAST: We will have an ‘authentic’ Native American feast on Tuesday, November 25. I would like the children to experience foods that may have been served /gathered at the first Thanksgiving. These include: raisins, nuts, breads, jerky, fry bread, vegetables. If you have something special you would like to prepare (pumpkin bread, jerky, etc. drop me a note. Otherwise, I will have my parent volunteers call and randomly ask for donations. Be looking for their call. We will also need plates, napkins, cups, drinks.) Our feast should be at 10:00 and 2:00. Parents are invited.

A WORD ABOUT CHRISTMAS: For the past several years, I have had a very successful plan for Christmas. I ask each child to bring a gift for each child in the classroom!!! This is very simple and entirely up to you. You may choose to do something as simple as purchasing 24 pencils, or 24 pieces of bubble gum, or 24 stickers, or 24 Little Debbie Christmas cakes, or you could be as extreme as hand crafting 24 handmade ornaments. I ask each child to send in a Christmas shopping bag size bag with their name on it. When it’s party time, we will sit in a circle with our bag in front of us and each child will go around the circle and pass out their treats. Every child gets the exact same thing – a total grab bag full of goodies. A good place to shop is a party store!!! Be creative! I’m giving you advance notice so you can be on the lookout for just the ‘right’ gift to give. If you need more suggestions, I will be posting successful treats from the past on my blog. http://www.clray.blogspot.com/

INDEPENDENT BOOK CHECK OUT - PM Class – we have had 2 days this week with no parent volunteer. When the parents are unable to come in, we usually don’t get books checked out. Hopefully, we will be back on target next week. I am moving ALL children up a basket. As they move up, there is a wider variety of difficulty levels in the basket – especially once they reach ‘C’ level and above. If your child gets a book that is a little more difficult for them, just do your best and make sure they have fun with the book. Note this on the book sheet and hopefully, the next one will be a better fit.

COAT REMINDER: As the weather gets colder, it is important that you send your child with the proper outer wear. Remember, we will make every attempt to go outside for a few minutes each day. If the weather is in the 30’s, your child must wear a COAT – not a sweatshirt, sweater or light jacket. If you do not have a winter coat for your child and need assistance, let me know and I will see what I can do! Just let me know. Also, if you have outgrown ‘gently used’ coats, we have children who could use them!!

HOMEWORK: I’m seeing lots of good homework!!! Keep up the good work!! I love seeing the kidwriting come in! If you could get a pad of primary lined paper and begin helping your child learn to write on the lines that would be greatly appreciated. I would like to see you doing 2-3 kidwriting exercises per week, practicing sounding out what they hear.

No comments: